Opus’s dedicated team of artisans provide a wide range of expertise in architectural arts services. We revel in producing original artistic designs and elements for new construction, just as much as we passionately bring back to life hidden elements of histories past. We are proficient in sculpting, texturing and color matching a variety of materials. Combining old world techniques and innovative new ways, we achieve extraordinary results.
Our principles and practices of technical examination, documentation and treatment for objects of material culture are done with only the upmost care. Our goal is to improve the condition of an artifact by stabilizing physical condition problems and addressing surface disfigurement, pigment discoloration and flaking, arising from deterioration and/or damage. In doing so, we strive to retain as much original material as possible and to employ the most carefully considered methods with the highest quality materials available.
Our process includes:
- Archival Research & Documentation
- Material & Methods Research & Documentation
- On-Site Mockups
Once we determine the best course of treatment to maintain the cultural and historical significance of an object and ensure its long-term preservation, we then can begin to restore it back to its original splendor.
- Ornamental Masonry, Wood and Plaster
- Objects include: Statues, fireplace surrounds, mirrors, doors, altars, fine art and much more
- Murals, Mosaics and Signage
- Interior Finishes
- Exterior Facades
- Metal and Wood Finishes
- Fine Furniture Treatments
- Masonry elements include: limestone, sandstone, bluestone, brownstone, terra cotta, terrazzo, precast concrete, granite, marble and brick
PAINT & FINISHES
We skillfully design and execute murals and signage, as well as create artistic decorative finishes on plaster, wood, metal, glass, epoxy resins, masonry products and many other surfaces. Techniques include:
- Color Matching
- Faux Painting
- Trompe L’oeil
- French Polish
We produce exceptional sculptures, mosaics and ornamental elements in plaster, wood, epoxy resin, glass and stone through the process of:
- Modeling (of clay or other composites)
- Mold Making
- Repair and Replication
Upon request, Opus is pleased to provide additional examples of our work.
• Roosevelt House
• The Asia Society Museum
• Washington Square Park Fountain
• The Hispanic Society of America Museum and Library
• Cathedral of Saint John the Divine
• The First National City Bank of New York